Brian Tracy, a motivational coach for entrepreneurs, said, “If what you are doing is not moving you toward your goals, then it’s moving you away from your goals.” As authors and business owners, we often think of the big things when it comes to reaching our goals. But, it’s really the little things that matter most because it’s the little things – like your habits – that lead to big things.
Here are 10 bad habits that you MUST change in order to be a successful booklet author. But, when you change these habits, you’ll find they not only create business success for you, but success in your every day life too!
1) Getting up in the morning without a plan for your day. It’s easy to let time slip through your fingers if you don’t have your day planned. So many little things come up that only take a minute, and before you know it you’ve run out of minutes and it’s time for bed! Plan your day the night before. Make a list of everything you need to accomplish, and if you want to get really detailed you can write down the time at which you will perform each task. That way when your head hits the pillow at night, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment!
2) Not treating your writing and your projects like a business. Sometimes it’s difficult to connect the dots and see what you do as a real business – but that’s exactly what it is. You’re writing booklets for money, and that means you’ve got a business. Start looking at all of the little projects you do – from making calls to potential quantity buyers to writing your next booklet to mailing booklets to your readers – as part of a larger whole. Each project adds up to create a business.
3) Tardiness. It doesn’t matter whether you’re meeting someone face to face, calling them on the phone, or sending an email – Promptness should be a priority. Being late for a face to face meeting is about the worst thing you can do. It tells the other person that you don’t respect them or their time. But, calling past the time your call was expected, or sending an email the day after you promised to send it is almost as bad. In today’s high tech world, everything is wanted and expected right now. If you need time to prepare an email or to prepare information for a phone call, let the other person know that and tell them when they can expect to hear from you. Then, make sure you contact them at the appropriate time, even if gathering the information is taking longer than you expected.
4) Inappropriate style of dress. This one should be a no-brainer, but so many people mess it up. When you meet with anyone who might offer you money for your booklets or other products or services, it is extremely important that you dress like a professional. It doesn’t have to be a three piece suit, but it should be something nice and something modest. Remember, you’re an author, and authors are viewed as professionals, and even as celebrities. Jeans are a no-no. Shorts, short skirts and immodest apparel are also no-no’s. You can dress semi-casual, but your style of dress should present you as a successful professional who cares about what you do.
5) Procrastination. This is one of the worst habits because it will literally stop you dead in your tracks. When you get an idea or you know you need to get something done – take action! Even if that action is to decide not to tackle that new project right now, you can always make a note of it and come back to it later. Don’t leave anything hanging. Deal with what needs dealing with.
6) Not keeping track of what you spend. You should always keep track of what it costs you to do business. If you don’t know the costs, you can’t be sure you’re making a profit. Many entrepreneurs think that because their business is small or just starting out, they don’t need to worry about costs because they’re not spending large sums of money. But, this creates a very bad habit that will keep your business from growing. You need to know how much things cost, and you need to keep track of what you spend.
7) Not getting the best deal. When you need to buy something or pay for a service, you should spend as little for it as possible. The more you save, the more you keep in your own pocket. Businesses have gone bankrupt from spending too much. It’s worth your time to do a little research to find the best prices.
8) Focusing on the negative. Chances are you’re not a pessimist, because if you were you wouldn’t be an entrepreneur. But, sometimes we all get a little negative when things aren’t going the way we had hoped, and some of us have more of a problem with this than others. If you have a tendency to see the downside of things you need to change this FAST! Start looking for the positive and you’ll find that things improve.
9) Thinking you have to do it all yourself. This is a real problem for us entrepreneurs. We think we are the only ones who can do what we do, so we never ask for or hire any help. In the beginning stages of your business, you may not be able to hire help and you may not need to. But, one day it will become necessary in order for your business to grow. At that point, you must let go of some of the things you have been doing and allow another person to take over the job(s). They may not do it the same way you did, but often you’ll find they can do it better. And you’ll have more time freed up to work on the things that really matter in your business rather than all the little day to day tasks.
10) Not taking care of yourself. You are the top person in your business, and you may be the only person running your business. If you become sick or injured, there is nobody to run your business until you are better. Make sure you are eating healthy food, getting some exercise, and getting enough rest. Allow yourself some downtime at the end of your work day, and take a break once in a while. Keep your body and your mind refreshed and you’ll be able to accomplish more each day!
Can you think of some other habits that sabbotage success? I would love to read your comments!
To your riches!
PS: Don’t procrastinate any longer! If you’re ready to write that first booklet and you want to get started on the right foot, click here!
PPS: One idea can change your life! One idea can start the riches flowing to you! This blog is full of ideas and new ones are added every week. Subscribe now! Click here.